Thursday 6 January 2011

A Theologian and an Infinite Staircase

John Locke was a theologian, who, when debating about predestination, came up with a concept of a man in a locked room. The man believed he could walk out at any time as he was unaware that the room was locked and therefore he stayed in the room. If the room was revealed to the man as locked with no escape it would drive him mad, so therefore it he is left unaware.

This is similar to life, if we found out our lives where predestined our freewill would have been taken from us and we’d have no control over our actions as an exterior force has already predetermined it.
This concept will help the transition from my previous experiments to a final piece. I want to use this story as the foundation to an installation, were I can manipulate how the viewer reacts to my final outcome. I have included some rough sketches of plan drawings of an installation layout.

I have gained inspiration from Maurits Cornelis Escher and his painting of the stair case that gives the illusion that it is infinite. I want to create a short manipulated film using a green screen to explain John Locke’s story to the viewers in the style of the infinite staircase.
Depending on the outcome I will then follow the film up with another that will be displayed in my installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment